Wednesday, October 03, 2007

From the logbook...

Again, we had poor visibility yesterday due to Brazilian cane field smoke. Therefore I was able to log some more instrument time, and 2 approaches to get back into Shell. Visibility was never better than 3 miles.

As I was setting up for my last jungle landing of the day in Masaramu MSR I noticed an airplane on the ground and pulled off to the side of the airstrip. After landing and getting my cargo and people off, the pilot came out and told me why he was there. After looking a little closer at his airplane it became obvious. The nose wheel tire was flat. Unfortunately he found out about his flat tire when he landed in MSR. He works for another aviation business in Shell, so we were casually friends before. He told me someone was bringing him another wheel/tire, but it might be a while until they arrive. He didn't have any tools, so I offered mine to help get the process started in the repair. Five minutes later I had the wheel off and split to see why it went flat. It seems the tire itself has a deformity on the inside that rubbed a hole in the tube, and finally it all came to a head.

No comments: