Tuesday, October 02, 2007

From the logbook...

After an almost 3 week hiatus from the cockpit, I was back flying again. It was a lot of fun to be back into the routine and taking people and their things all over God's green jungle. Part of my flying today entailed taking some medical staff from the local mission hospital to a village called San Juan. We will be picking them up in a few days, but from another community as they are going to walk through the jungle to reach it.

We have awful visibility right now due to smoke supposedly from Brazilian cane fields. They are being burned and the smoke gets blown our way thousands of miles until it hits the Andes. The visibility was never above 3 miles today everywhere I went, and I even shot the instrument approach to get back into Shell just to play it safe. The one upside of flying through such thick smoke is it isn't bumpy like clouds. The downside is, that the smoke hides the clouds, which are bumpy.
One of my stops had me in Makuma for a bit of gas, and to pick up some passengers. One of our other pilots was also there, and was taking off just as I shut the engine down.

No comments: