Friday, July 23, 2010

Restandardization Complete


My Flying Crew, originally uploaded by Cielo Azul Images.
Today I wrapped up my MAF flying refresher (a.k.a. re-standardization) into some very fun airstrips.  We started off the day by navigating by heading, time and groundspeed (dead reckoning) up into the Idaho Backcountry enroute to a strip called Deadwood.  Along the way I also stopped at a strip called Loomis.  Once we made it to Deadwood, about an hour after leaving Nampa, we did some takeoff and landing work on the strip there.  The guy on the left in the photo above is an old friend from MAF-Mexico.  He is here in Nampa doing extensive work on one of the Mexico airplanes, one I used to fly.  It was a great surprise to see him here and we have had fun getting re-connected.  He joined along today just for fun.  The man in the middle was my flight instructor.

At the top of the Deadwood airstrip there is this sign.  Idaho is known for it's backcountry airstrips and many are accesable by road as well.  Therefore, the road at the top of the airstrip also warned cars to stay off!


Deadwood Airstrip, Idaho, originally uploaded by Cielo Azul Images
Here is the view from the other side of the airstrip.  It is 1500 feet long with 8% slope and a beautiful lake on the end.  It was very similar to some of the airstrips I visited in Mexico (except for the lake) and was a lot of fun.  
 
After leaving deadwood we made our way back to Boise where I shot a few instrument approaches and then broke it off to do even more short field work in the Snake River area.  Overall, my MAF flying skills came back very fast and I had a blast getting brushed up on things.  However, today might have also been my last landing on terra firma for a while.  After we finish language school, we have been assigned to serve at a float plane base in Kalimantan  (landing on rivers).  More on that later...

2 comments:

Clyde Carpenter said...

Sounds like an incredibly fun day!
Were you flying a 206?
Cheers from your Friend in Beautiful Downtown Burbank,
-Clyde Carpenter

Sean Cannon said...

Hey Clyde! It was a fun day, and yes we were flying a turbo 206. Great aircraft!