Monday, July 26, 2010

Float Plane Flying


My Future Office, originally uploaded by Cielo Azul Images.

As stated in my previous post, last week may have been my last landing on land for a long time.  This will be due to the fact that after we finish language school in the summer of 2011, we will move to the float plane base of PalangkaRaya, Kalamantan.  I am absolutely stoked to learn this type of flying.  As pilots, most of us jump at the chance to learn something new and fly different airplanes.  This will be totally different from anything I have ever done.  From what little I know, the flying is the same, but the takeoff and landing are obviously extremely different.


My Future Office, originally uploaded by Cielo Azul Images.
PalangkaRaya is located in Central Kalimantan and therefore has numerous river systems running throughout it.  Therefore we can use this type of aircraft to access otherwise inaccessible places in a much faster manner than by boat.  From what I am told, some of the villages are located on wide and "easy" stretches of river, whereas other villages are located on narrow rivers.  I can't wait!

No comments: