Monday, October 04, 2010

A Few More Scenes from the Neighborhood

Hairy Cherries

I call these hairy cherries.  Every tropical country we have lived in has their own name for them, but here in Indonesia they are actually called correctly...Rambutan...derived from the Indonesian word for hair.  They taste pretty good, you can read more about them here.  There are numerous rambutan trees here.  This picture was taken on the campus of Brooklyn's school.

Neighborhood Bapak (Grandpa)

While walking to school the other day I had my camera out and this Bapak (grandfather) asked me to take his picture, just for the pleasure of doing so.  He didn't ask for a copy or anything.  The people here continue to amaze me!

Baloon Vendor

Also while walking to school the same day, this young man was already out and about selling his children's balloons.  I saw him later in the day and his stock was definitely a little smaller.

No comments: