Thursday, November 18, 2010

Modus Operandi - Cargo

In keeping with my "downtown through pictures" theme, I thought we would highlight cargo today...or at least one of the common ways it is carried here; either on your back or on your head...

This woman is carrying a basket full of vegetables.  I presume that she was selling them but I cannot say for sure.  Anyone want some cabbage?

Another woman probably carrying similar vegetables as the woman in the first picture.  Regardless of what she is doing with the cargo, it looks like she has been doing it for a "few" years.

Don't let two huge boxes thwart your desire to get them from point "A" to point "B"...just put them on your head and get on with your life.  Maybe that is why all the people here are so short...

Bananas...ah yes.  I didn't even know there were numerous types of bananas until I moved to the tropics years ago.  Hopefully in the near future I will make a trip to the banana market; yes, a whole area dedicated to the selling, trading, and squashing of my mother-in-laws favorite breakfast staple.  The fried bananas here are really good...with ice cream...and chocolate syrup!

This woman has presumably over 100 pounds of rice on her back.  Her face speaks for itself...

In contrast to the previous photo's cranium cargo, this woman had something light in her sack.  I can't tell you what it is...maybe foam, or peanuts, or foam peanuts.  

2 comments:

April Adamson Holthaus said...

Sean, besides being an incredibly flexible person, you are an awesome photographer. Love, love seeing this part of the world through these pictures and your commentaries. Thanks.

Sean Cannon said...

Thanks April!