Friday, November 19, 2010

In the Mood for Food...Street Style

Keeping with the "downtown through pictures" theme, here are a few of the culinary delights you can find while downtown.  This is only a snapshot of all the different foods that can be found, most of which I still have no clue as to what they are...

An older couple selling some type of soup with something like a fried tofu cake.  Yes, sorry to get your mouth watering already...I told you this would be good...

This man is making small reed baskets.   No, you cannot eat these, unless you wanted to.  He just happened to be where I was when I was taking pictures so it is included here free of charge cuz' that's how I roll.

Guava (red and green), mangoes, and papaya (big and yellow) being sold right in front of a jewelry store.  Come to think of it, last time I was looking for a new gold watch with a Velcro strap at the jewelry store I could have really used a glass of fresh squeezed guava juice...that would have been refreshing!  This lady knows the number one rule; "Location, Location, Location!" (BTW - the guava juice here is VERY good!)

Makes sense that in a hot place like Indonesia you can sell ice cream.  The ice cream vendors come in all shapes and sizes; pushing and pedaling every imaginable thing you can think of.  Ice cream is good.

Before I came to Indonesia I had never heard of jack fruit.  Now I have both heard of it and tasted it.  It is pretty good when eaten at the right time.  But, it has a reputation for making you a little tipsy if you wait too long to eat it...at least that is what a friend of mine told me.  Don't jack fruit and drive!

I don't know what is being sold here.  It looked like grilled tofu.  It could be dog.  It could be rice cakes.  It could be dog cakes...you get the idea.

My mother-in-law's favorite food...at least it used to be.  They love their fried food here.  That will be the subject for a later post by either me or Rebecca.  They do make some good fried chicken though.  

No comments: