Thursday, January 27, 2011

Salatiga Rice Paddie

You would think that only going to school 2 hours a day would leave you with lots of free time.  WRONG!  I  was finally able to get out for about an hour today and photograph a nearby sawah, or rice paddy.  The picture above shows nearby Mt. Merbabu as well as an oxen team at the far end of the flooded field.

The people at the sawah today were really friendly.  They insisted that I come off of the road and venture into the sawah to get better pictures.  Sometimes the niceness of the people here continues to blow me away.

Scenes like this from the sawah are something that I will cherish down the road.   They scream southeast Asia to me.  From our time in Kalimantan over Christmas break it was apparent that the landscape there is very different.  There isn't a mountain to be seen for hundreds of miles, just FLAT mangrove swamp.  I had better enjoy the mountains and the cooler air while I can.

I will post a few more pictures from the sawah later this week.

3 comments:

Sarah DeSalvo said...

Well, you will just have to come visit us in Papua to get your mountain fix :-)

Sean Cannon said...

I would love to see Papua some day. You never know in MAF...

Dave said...

Nice shots bro!