Tuesday, April 19, 2011

From the Logbook...Training has Begun


We arrived in PalangkaRaya over the weekend and today I dove right into training to fly the Cessna 185 float-plane.  While I was being shown the specifics on how to preflight the aircraft, we found a severely worn water rudder cable.  That was a "no go" item, so we postponed our planned flight and got out the toolboxes instead.  The aircraft was already up on the hangar floor, out of the water, so it was ready to be fixed right away.  I did learn one of the benefits of being such a big guy today.  The cable we replaced passes from the rudder of the airplane, under the tail, then into the float which then turns the water rudders.  Being that the cable and it's pulley are located in a teeny little spot inside the float, one of our national employees squeezed inside to help remove the cable and pulley.

Thankfully, we were able to install a new cable and after lunch we went flying.  Today's lesson was just to get me warmed up in the airplane and work out some of the rust that has worked in over the last several months of not flying.  Despite the evident rustiness, it was still a blast!  Hopefully, I'll be up in the air again tomorrow morning.   

1 comment:

Ryan said...

So, having worked where your floats are made for many years, I see some interesting pictures from time to time.

We once had some crazy customers who stuck their spouses in the lockers to show off the size, but this sort of ups the ante! Where's my leather helmet and goggles?!

Really, though, your posts remind me of why I am here. Many of us are likeminded in our pursuit to spread the love of Christ - keep up the good work! I would be there with you if I could!

In Christ,
Ryan