Wednesday, October 10, 2012

From the Logbook...Kuala Kurun

Recently during a training flight, Isaac and I visited Kuala Kurun to specifically practice docking.  The landing and takeoff at KRN are "easy," but the docking is very challenging due to large, narrow, steel posts in the river.  Before practicing some docking reps, we needed to add some gas, a common occurrence in our little float planes.  The boys on the dock put on a good show while I was fueling.

So the airplane is balanced, I need to add an appropriate amount of fuel in the right side as well.  In the course of a full flight day, I can put a full 55 gallon drum worth of fuel in my wings, 5 gallons at a time.

Here comes Isaac maneuvering the airplane for a successful docking.  Sometimes flying the float plane is easy.  Docking it is the hard part because we don't have brakes or reverse, and our wings are made of fragile aluminum.  Praise God for His protection during our flying operations!

No comments: