Thursday, October 25, 2012

Smoke Town

This was the scene a few weeks ago here in PalangkaRaya.  Very dense smoke, down to about 300-500 meters of visibility.  Due to this fact, flying was out of the question and I was able to accomplish some other tasks on my to-do list in the city.  The above photo is full color by the way.

Smokey season reaches it's zenith obviously due to lack of rain water.  The potential river water level is obvious when looking at these nearby buildings and seeing the huge stilts they are built on.

The smoke doesn't slow down boat commerce much, but the low river levels can.  Many boats were seen here at our main city dock awaiting their cargoes.

I always have a good time when I have a reason to enter the "bowels" of PalangkaRaya.  As I become more and more acquainted and familiar with our host city, I'm always reminded how little I still understand and know about how many, many people live their everyday lives.

No comments: