Monday, August 11, 2014

Aershell Aerobatic Team

In keeping with the OSHKOSH theme, we'll keep the pictures coming.  I had an amazing opportunity to take a short ride with the world famous Aeroshell Aerobatic Team.  It's a long story about how I secured the ride.  Let's just say it had nothing to do with me.  What a blessing!  Any airplane ride you have to wear a parachute has the potential to be AWESOME!

Above we are seen getting ready for a formation takeoff.  Within seconds, all 5 airplanes were airborne and climbing to the practice area.  This was my first ride in a North American T-6 Texan, a WWII trainer.  It was a blast!!!  I didn't take my big camera on this flight because I didn't want to drop it while we were upside down.  So, all pics on this post are from my iPhone.

After a short flight to the practice area, the pilots turned on the smoke, and away we went. Within seconds we were upside down, in formation to boot.  Did I mention this was fun?!

Of course...what goes up must come down, or in this case straight down!  The picture above has us coming out of the bottom of a loop.  Insert HUGE smile here!

In the picture above, we are just entering a barrel roll.  The precision that these pilots had was amazing.  I was having so much fun!

Above we are on the top side of the barrel roll. By now, my face was hurting from smiling so much.  I was having a blast!

Finally, after we finished our acrobatics, the smoke came off and we headed back to OSHKOSH.  The fun part here is that I was able to fly us back to the airport.  So fun!

One of the true marks of professionals is when they make what they do look easy.  These pilots definitely made what they did look easy.  What a fun and unforgettable ride!

After the planes were shut down and parked, I was able to get a quick picture with the team.  The neat thing about these pilots is they all have day jobs.  Flying for the Aeroshell team is something they all do on the side.  Even the airplanes are all based out of different airports around the USA.  But, once airshow season begins, they find a way to get together and practice, and then put their skills on display on the airshow circuit.  What an unforgettable experience...so thankful!

1 comment:

Dave said...

I'm thinking MAF could really benefit from an aerobatics demonstration team. Sign me up! We can all have our "day jobs" overseas, then during air show season we somehow meet up in the U.S. with our planes, do a little practice and voila! We can wow our churches on a whole new level!!