Friday, September 29, 2006

Another good day...

I was able to get a flight in today to a village called Cururay. It is about a 45 flight from Shell. I went out there to pick up a government medical team. They had been out there since Monday giving vaccinations and general medical care. I waited about an hour and a half at the runway until they pulled up in a dugout canoe in the nearby river ready to go home.

It was a beautiful day today, it hasn't even rained once. What this also means is it was really HOT! When I was out in the jungle waiting for my passengers, it was just like you would imagine it, hot and very humid, with bugs everywhere. It doesn't take much time in that environment to help me re-realize the isolation that these people live in. After I finally made it back to Shell, it was almost lunch time. I helped get some other flights going, and rode my bike home and ate.

(Here are some very shy girls waiting at the river with me in Cururay. Like children anywhere, they are easy to make laugh and eager for some fun.)

After lunch, I did a few more things in the hangar and then "clocked out" to work on the Bronco. I am very encouraged. I made more progress putting it together than I thought I would this afternoon. If I get a chunk of free time tommorow, I should be able to finish everything and even drive it home. I sure hope so. My goal is to try and get the Bronco home and trustworthy before Becca has a baby.

Her day wasn't quite as good as mine. She is at that miserable stage of being VERY pregnant. I don't think she cares if I get our car working or not before she goes into labor. She is ready to get back to a normal life now!


Here is a C-130 Hercules that was in Shell the other day. The military has at least one here in Ecuador. The USA military sometimes "loans" our pilots to the Ecuadorians in order to give them real world training in the ops of this cool airplane.

No comments: