Saturday, December 09, 2006

From the Logbook...

I didn't write a whole lot this week because we were shut down with rain most of Monday, all of Tuesday, and all of Wednesday. Since then, we have had decent weather, but tons of flying to do. Because of this, I have been to tired to do anything when I get home. I have gone to bed at 8:30 the past two nights. My last two days of flying have been very fun.

Yesterday, I hauled some interesting "cargo." I flew a cadaver and a passenger about 50 minutes south near the Peruvian border back to their village called Tucupi, (TUC). When I landed, no body had warned me beforehand what was going to happen. Even while I was still braking during the landing, I began to hear a loud clamoring. When I finally got stopped and shut down, all (you know what) broke loose. We had brought this dead person out alive a few days earlier as one of our medical evacs. Sadly, we weren't returning this person alive like most. The villagers knew that two people had left, and when they saw only one sitting in the airplane when I landed, they knew what had happened. Maybe some of you have seen footage of how Asians and Middle Easterners wail when someone dies, in particular the women. When I finally got stopped and they all saw the casket sitting right next to me, an uproar began of wailing and crying. It broke my heart to be bring such sad "cargo" to this village, and it really shocked me afterwards how they deal with mourning and the death process. I wanted to get some pictures of the whole thing, but I never had a respectful time to do it. I will never forget that landing.

Below, are some pictures over the past few days that I have taken. It has been an interesting few days for sure...
This boy is from a village called Yampuna (YAM), one of the 8 stops I had yesterday. I was waiting there for a medical missionary. While a waited I took a few shots. Does anything look wrong to you in this picture?

On Thursday we had a radio installation again. The building that we put the radios in had some huge spiders on it. I am NOT joking when I say this spider is as big as my hand.

This is an overall shot of the village of Nuevo Sasaim where we installed a radio on Thusday. It was some of the hardest work I have done in a while, mostly because there wasn't anyone to help us in the village. You can see the antenna and solar panel on the right of the blue and white building. The pole for the antenna was a killer. It probably weighed at least 1000 pounds. Jungle wood is very dense, and this was no exception. I wanted my mommy when we were putting that pole in!

No comments: