Friday, March 02, 2007

From the logbook

Today I was once again moving around a lot of Compassion International people throughout the jungle. At my last stop on my first flight, I landed in Copataza around lunch time and had an invite to join one of the villagers for lunch. I always try to accept these kinds of invitations, and today I had no reason why I could not. As I sat down with the village leader to eat lunch his wife soon put a bowl of "soup" in front of me along with a plate full of boiled eggs and jungle potatoes. The soup was good and had some meat in it. After asking what kind of meat it was I deduced that it was none other than the world's largest rodent. Click here for more info. The food was good, and so was the company. Earlier in the week I was in Copataza dropping off a dental team and I was able to get a fun picture of my host in front of our airplane.
Later in the day I was basically the flying ambulance again. I had a few returning patients to take home, and them I made the rounds and filled up my airplane with patients to take back to Shell. We fought weather most of the day, and finally I landed back in Shell just before the airport closed at sunset.


Here is the view from the cockpit on the way back towards Shell. The Pastaza River is on the right.

No comments: