Sunday, June 10, 2007

Saturday Hike...

Today we were able to go on a GREAT hike about 45 minutes drive away into the jungle to reach a waterfall called Hola Vida...hello life. Becca does a better job of giving details of what we did and the pictures therein at her blog. I wanted to post a few of the nature shots of things we saw.First and foremost, here is the shot of the waterfall. It had a drop of maybe 80 feet. While we have seen a LOT bigger here, the setting was unmatched. Shortly after we arrived we had the place to ourselves. It was great to just be in the middle of nowhere and be awestruck by God's creation.

Dragonflies were everywhere. This is the only one I was fast enough to capture on film. At one time, Becca and I saw the largest dragonfly we had ever seen. It looked like a Chinook helicopter. I tried to gets its pic, but he was too elusive.
This is one of the dozens of species of butterfly that we say. I was amazed by how many butterflies there were. I like how you can see the thorax through the clear wings on this one.
This little guy is a little out of focus, but he has a pretty color scheme none the less.

We did see another creature that I wish I could have got a picture of. As we were walking out from the waterfall to the car (about a 40 minute hike) I saw a huge snake. I don't know what kind it was, other than it was totally black, about 4 feet long, and skinny. I don't know if it was poisonous, but he did turn tail and he fled to the underbrush like most any wild animal would.

No comments: