Friday, July 15, 2011

From the Logbook...Baptism

Yesterday, I had the privilege of taking some pastors and their families back home to one of the most remote and isolated places we fly to, Naan.  (see videos from this post)  They were in PalangkaRaya last week for a church conference.  Talking a little bit with the guys reveals how even they have culture shock when they come to the big city.  Their community is literally on the equator and in the middle of nowhere.  Some day I want to fly into their community and spend some time as a family with these dedicated men who are truly sacrificing for the Gospel.

Aviation is stooped in tradition and we do our best to keep that alive in MAF.  Usually, after a pilot solos an airplane for the first time, he is surprised to find that upon returning from his first solo flight, a group of people is waiting to soak him with water.  Usually this entails using buckets, hoses, water guns, etc.  However, here in PalangkaRaya we have a whole river to use.  So, yesterday after returning from my flight I was pushed into the river at an opportune time and baptized into the elite club of float plane pilots.  

Since it didn't work out to baptize me on my actual day of solo flight, I thought I had dodged a bullet and wasn't going to be riding my scooter home wet.  I later learned this was part of the plan so I would let my guard down and not take my attackers into the river with me.  This was good planning on their part, because I would have taken them down with me had they attempted it only one day before.  Good times, fun memories!  (Becca has some more pictures on her blog)  

2 comments:

Clyde Carpenter said...

Too Cool!!!
Nothing like a refreshing dip in the river after a hard days work.

Cheers and Congratulations from your Friend in Beautiful Downtown Burbank,
-Clyde Carpenter

Sean Cannon said...

It was a refreshing dip indeed!