Sunday, August 12, 2012

From the Logbook...Forest Bounty

Travel to anywhere outside of your hometown quickly shows you that people around your own country and the world eat lots of different things.  Indonesia is no exception here.  The man above was ecstatic one morning when I tied up the airplane at his dock.  It seems this jungle pig was swimming from the other side of the river and landed near the dock...a prime example of wrong place at the wrong time.  A few spears and the help of his dogs made light work of the hog.  He immediately started gutting the pig right in the river; preparing it for later consumption.

I always like asking different cultures about their hunting methods and I asked the guy a lot about his recent prey.  He was gracious enough to give me a whole hind leg as a gift, which I in turn gave to one of the guys I work with.  His wife prepared it at home and then all of us guys at the dock shared it for lunch the following day.

The dock owners luck didn't stop with the pig.  A few days later I was in his village again and he showed me his recently killed lizard.  I'm not sure of the proper name of this lizard, although it is similar to a monitor lizard.  Regardless of it's name, I'm sure it made for a few good meals at his dinner table.

No comments: